Saturday, September 02, 2006

Oh me achin' back!

Let me tell you - it is a sore thing. Got up, and everything was fine, went to work. Sat in a chair. Went to get up and,.. Jesus! It was sore and continued all day long like that until I got herself to rub deep heat into me later on in the evening. Much better this morning; downing Arnica tablets like a map fucker all day.

But every time I get a back pain, I always think of that public safety ad of many years ago about a character called "Big John". He was big and powerful and a cheerful country-and-western tune told us how all heavy objects were just a "a barrel of fun to old Big John. But he never gave a thought to his back-bone...." and then John would go "Oh, me achin' back!" After repeatedly doing this at the end of every verse, for the final verse, John delivered his lines from the hospital bed. He sadly turned his face to camera and delivered his final line with mighty morososity, if there exists such a word.

A wonderful advert; informative and entertaining and a series of images that give a helpful insight into social and working life in Ireland of the 1970's, where everybody wore long hair, beards, bell-bottom jeans and emigrated to Britain. If that advert can be bought, I'd pay good money for it now, if I had it.

My back is feeling better already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home