Saturday, June 03, 2006

Too much wine...

Too much wine does make the old spin a bit, not to mention the tummy, churning away for days afterwards, as it does, like a dirty ould cement mixer.

Well enough about my alcoholic habits and more about the world in general. Did you know , for example, that there is huge interceltique festival (pronounced "fess-teee-val) held and to be held every year since 1971 in Lorient, Britanny. Lorient is a place that I've been in, so I have. It's architecturally naive, to say the least. In fact, it's definitely one of France's shit-ugliest towns, so it is, mostly on account of the fact that it underwent some refurbishments courtesy of American and Brit bastard bombings during the course of World War II. Of coure, they'll say that it was all a necessary part of liberating the country from the Nazi opressor and it's hard to argue with that, but how many of those young, wet-behind-the-ears bombardiers didn't drop that extra bomb just to satisfy their innate and inbred sense of anti-French? France is a country of many pretty towns, and no-one appreciates more than I do, coming from a country where all those important centuries were obliterated, leaving us with a cultural blank space from the 1300's to the early 1800's and not much else until 1916, so.... (and I apologise for the long bridge there) it is hard to comprehend the raison d'etre of a town like Lorient, where the streets are totally charmless, except for the lovely people that inhabit them. And they are lovely people, so they are. All nice and friendly and Irish-loving; my kind of people, even though I've just described 80% of the population of the earth.

Anyway, back to the grand festival. Well, i haven't been to it yet, so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I did manage to get a press pass to the thing this year, so off I go and I'll tell you about it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home